Even animals need compassion and kindness!

Even animals need compassion and kindness!

Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Thank you St. John's

Flying to St. John's was very calming. The night before I was a bit nervous about the adventure I was about to take. But something more powerful than me was taking me there and I trusted it. Just before we landed it occurred to me that I left Ottawa for what will probably feel like a lifetime. I won't see my family and friends for a long time. I left my life behind me and I was alone and I didn't know what to expect when I landed in St. John's.

What I found in St. John's were so many caring and friendly people. The friends I made at the Downtown Hostel where I stayed; Bill, Jeannie, Malcom, Mariame. I hope to see Jeannie when she returns to B.C. The people I met at the shelters; Kelly at Beagle Paws; Tammy, Mike, Kim and Abby the shelter cat at the Animal Care & Adoption Centre; Annie and Alison at the S.P.C.A.; and Jessica, Ivan, and Ashley at Heavenly Creatures. Jessica was a tremendous help while I was there. Its amazing how much she does in a day. And everyone I met on the street. I want to thank all of you for your support and words of encouragement.

I also want to thank VOCM Openline Radio for their coverage. This helped reach more people.

I want to say a special thanks to Dorit Girash, the founder of Let Live Canada and Jazzpurr, for flying all the way from Windsor to show her support and help. She was a Godsend and my Angel. Words cannot say enough how much her presence meant.

I especially want to thank everyone who came down to the harbour. Some with their dogs. It was a windy and cold day and still you came to show your support and encouragement and sign my flag. It tells me and your community and Canada that people care about saving the lives of our companion friends. It was a great start because of all of you. I will never forget you. The people of St. John's truly have a BIG HEART. I left St. John's with fond memories.

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

You are such a hero, Michelle! You have left an impression on each one of us who were lucky enough to meet you at Mile One in St. John's, sign the flag, and wave good-bye as you started your journey.

My two young daughters were with me that day, and we talk about you and pray for you every day.

Thank you for every step you're taking.

Warm hugs,
Stephanie Olsen
St. John's, NL
Emily and Isabelle