Even animals need compassion and kindness!

Even animals need compassion and kindness!

Thursday, May 17, 2007

Day 28 - Tracadie

When I am weak, thats when I am the strongest and good things happen. Thats what I keep telling myself.

It was still dark out when the heavy rain woke me up. There was more rain in the forecast but it was suppose to clear up in the afternoon. It would be a late and wet start.

At 6am my sister Marie called. I had left her a message the night before but she had got home late. We talked for a bit and then I had something to eat. It was still raining so I made a few calls to my family, Mom & Dad then my sisters Chris and Angel. Afterwards I packed up my things and headed out. When I stepped outside the wind threw me back for a few steps.

It was a couple of km to the Canso Causeway that crosses the Strait. The wind gusts were between 40-60km and pushing thru it was a bit of a challenge at times and it got windier the closer I got to the strait. I had to fight the wind to not get blown across the road.

I passed the Information Centre just before the Causeway and the swinging bridge at the beginning started to open. There was a ship coming from the south. This would take a few minutes I thought. I got to the fence and the blowing wind was incredible. Thats when I met Herald. He got out of his Van and came over to talk to me. He was concerned for my safety crossing the Causeway on foot with these winds (there's no shelter or crosswalk for pedestrians). He offered to drive me to the otherside and I accepted. We had several conversations but what I'll remember most is how he got his gratitude rock. His grandson had painted and given it to him but before he did his grandson asked him what a gratitude rock was. Herald told him it was for everything in life he was grateful for. He always carried it with him and showed it to me. When he dropped me off he gladly signed my flag and wished me luck.

I made my way thru Auld Cove and thought how beautiful the coastline and ocean was but it was so windy and the wind was cool. Waiting for me was a monster hill and I was going against the wind. It was over a two mile climb to the top. It was taking all my strength not to get blown away. I didn't think I was ever going to reach the top but I did and took my pack off and gave my shoulders and neck a break and to stretch. I was hoping there wouldn't be too many of them but there would be a few more and each time I looked behind me and thought to myself I must be out of my mind. As I got further along the wind started to die down.

At one point, in the distance, I could see a car off to the side of the road. When I approached the car two girls were trying to fix the passenger window that had slipped out of its tracks. I offered to help but there wasn't much that could be done. Once I explained what I was doing out there they gladly signed my flag and proceeded to tell me about their pets and thought this was a good cause and wished me luck.

I had gone a few more miles and passed thru Havre Boucher. The coastal landscaping and rolling hills were very scenic. After climbing a few hills I would drop my pack and give my shoulders a break.

It was starting to get late already and would probably only make it as far as Monastery. Thats where I met Mary and Alain. I was looking for a place to put up my tent and Mary said it would be alright to put it up in their yard. Yards out here were like cottage country. I sat down and chatted with them for a bit. Mary is a librarian and Alain a musician. I met their two dogs and three cats. They had extra rooms and Mary offered me a bed and a shower. She also fed me a hot plate of veges. She was on her way out to do some bird counting so I joined her. She gave me a tour of the coast and beaches. Among the birds we saw was a young bald eagle. When we returned to her home I faded into my bed and fell asleep.

No comments: