Even animals need compassion and kindness!

Even animals need compassion and kindness!

Friday, May 11, 2007

Day 25 - Ben Eoin to Indian Reserve

I was having such a great sleep I didn't get up until 7:30am...that would mean a late start today as it always took me about an hour to packup and get going. It had cooled down a bit during the night and the ground was covered with a dew. My tent was wet and the things I left out (shoes) were damp. I went across the street to the Me & the Mrs Restaurant and met the folks there. I had a cup of coffee and some toast. Once they signed my flag I went on my way.

Today was going to be very hot. There were no clouds and the sun was as bright as could be. I was already getting a bit sun burnt.

There were more hills today. I called them monster hills cause they were a few miles long and it felt like all I was doing was climbing. The scenery was great. About 10 miles down the road there was a couple working outside. I waved and the lady asked me if I wanted to stop for tea. It was lunch time and I gladly abliged. I met Frank & Ruthie and their two dogs. They had retired here 11 years ago. They had a beautiful view of the lake right in front of their home. It was a gorgeous location and they told me how they love every season out here. Ruth had made tea and sandwiches and brought out some cookies. I thought to myself how so very kind people they are. It was great visiting and chatting with them and I almost didn't want to leave. But off I went after I gave both of them a hug.

It was mid afternoon and really hot. I thought to myself its great that the weather is warmer but I would have to get off to an earlier start and try to finish by mid day so that I'm not running in the middle of the heat. I still had a ways to go.

A woman on her way to New Glasgow had stopped to say hi briefly. I had just passed Soldiers Cove and came up to the Indian Reservation called Poklotek. I had gone 42 km. I fellow by the name of Lester asked me where I was going. I chatted with him for a few minutes. He gave me 3 apples to take with me. I stopped at the Convenience Store and asked if there was anywhere to put up my tent. A fellow by the name of Charlie said his Uncle Bruno across the street would let me put my tent up in his field. I spoke with the woman at the store, she signed my flag, and she said that was a good spot and no one would bother me there. I met Bruno and his wife AnnClaire. They were nice, an older couple and no one bothered them. I set up my tent just before dark. Climbed in and it felt good to be off my feet. Once the sun went down the night was cool. Again I fell asleep to the sound of frogs and crickets and a few dogs in the distance. I said my prayers and asked God to keep me safe and was thankful for all the kindness that people were giving me.

No comments: